I'm afraid that I haven't done well at recording these precious sayings, so I'm starting a running post here to help me remember. I know I'll look back on these with a great smile and a full heart. I hope others will too!
4yo Susannah, while clearing the table: "Boys, you left your book on the table! Grrr...you boys are just Slugs." (in reference to the well known, "sluggard" of proverbial note. "Go to the ant, you sluggard. Consider its ways and be wise!)
---------------------------------------------
12yo Elizabeth and 10yo Joshua were having a discussion about boys shaving. Elizabeth, being the oldest and best informed on the subject ;-), let Joshua know that, "you cannot begin shaving your face, Josh, until after you have started shaving your legs." (heehee...I guess I missed the "gender-specifics" when we had that talk.)
--------------------------------------------
6yo Ruth was perusing a neat children's anatomy book I recently purchased for our schooling. She was full of great questions about the body parts she was seeing. She got to a page on the heart and asked, "Mommy, is this the heart?" "Yes honey, this is the outside and if you lift the flap, you can see the inside where the blood moves in and out." Ruth continued to examine that flap for another minute or two and then said, "But Mommy, where's Jesus?" I was really confused, "Jesus?" She matter-of-factly replied, "Yes. Jesus is IN our hearts." SO PRECIOUS!! (what a teachable moment, right?)
-------------------------------------------
When Elizabeth was 3 or 4 years old, like every wise parent, we would spell to keep our plans in code. I would frequently spell the word P-A-R-K when I was thinking of going out for some fun. One day, as we drove by the park we usually visited, she called out, "Mommy, can we go to the P-Q-R-S?"
------------------------------------------
8yo Benjamin was finishing up running laps to help correct some attitude issues. When he finished, I asked if he was ready to apologize, he said "Yes. I'm sorry for running so many laps." (yeah, that was a long day ;-)
------------------------------------------
The children were heading out to play in the swimming pool. The plan was to play "Atlantis" the underwater city. 12yo Elizabeth said, "I'll be the Mermaid Guide to the city!" To which 11yo Joshua replied, "No. We have GPS for that."
------------------------------------------
5yo Ruth was working in the kitchen with me, washing dishes. As she was washing she said, "This is hard.
------------------------------------------
Our girlies are lover's of all things Princess. They especially love the story of Princarella (Cinderella ). We read it quite often at naptime. Well, in our story version, there is a comment about how the stepsisters were spoiled with pretty dresses and jewels and treated like princesses while Cinderella had to clean and cook and do chores. (Poor her, right?)
So, insert Mommy's gentle comments: "Well, how did those girls who got all of those pretty dresses and not have to work turn out?
Girlies: Selfish.
Smiling Mommy: Yes. But Cinderella had to do the work, and how did she turn out?
Girlies: Nice.
Triumphant Mommy: Yes. So which is better? To get all the pretty dresses, or to learn to work hard?
5yo Ruth: To get the pretty dresses AND work hard.
-------------------------------------------------
I had been making short "to-do" lists for my dc each morning on little sticky notes. Once they complete the items they receive a reward of some sort. I leave them on the table for them to pick up each morning. One day my list was with theirs. It was very funny as each one of them saw the list and said the exact same thing...
"Who's list is THIS??!!" Spoken with the fear and terror that it just *might* be theirs for the day!! They were more than happy to take their own lists that morning!!
-------------------------------------------------
The children were setting up their pretend restaurant (Benjy's Foodies) while I was making tortillas. I heard several.... "Okay, let's pretend you are my dad and I'm your daughter"...type thing. Then 5yo Benjamin said, "Mom, let's pretend I'm your son and I'm helping you make tortillas."
Mommy: "Ummm, okay."
Benjamin: "Mom, let's pretend we are making these for lunch."
Mommy: "Ummm, okay." (Because we were!)
The final funny was when the Baby Susannah joined us.
3yo Ruth said, "Mom, let's pretend she's your baby and she's having a snack while you work." (Because she was!)
Mommy: "Ummmm, okay!"
Isn't "pretending" fun?!!
------------------------------------------------
9yo Elizabeth used her writing assignment to give me a "present". I'll type it out here as-is to give you the full effect.
I followed my mommy and this is what I saw. She has long nails and her hair looks silky. her fase is pink her eyes are brown and her skin feells soft. She has a very soft vouse (voice) and her breth smells like cofee! I think my mom is GREAT!
------------------------------------------------
5yo cries, "Yeah! Let's Rock n' Roll!"
Then...
5yo: Ruth, what does 'Rock n' Roll' mean?
7yo: Well, 'Roll' is what I call Drive. So, it's Driving. And 'Rock' is when you rock back and forth in the van. So, Let's Rock n' Roll!!!
6yo Verity, 4yo Honoree', and 2yo Kindred are playing "church" as services for our church have been cancelled this morning. Verity is the Preacher and Honoree' is the Preacher's wife, Kindred is their child.
Honoree' in a sweet-as-syrup voice: "C'mon, honey it's time for church. I know you're going to be bored. But, I brought some things for you to do."
You should see the pile of stuff she's carrying around
Playing Church Day Two:
Honoree': Mom I'm the pastor's wife but the pastor is sick today so now I have to do the preaching.
2 comments:
How precious are our children. I just love remembering things my children have said or done. They are so special.
Tracy I had a BLAST reading these!!!!!!!! There is nothing is this world more precious than children.These were so hilarious!!!
Post a Comment