Sunday, June 13, 2010

Happy Birthday-Vacation!

"Happy Birthday!"
"No. Happy Vacation!"
"No."
"Happy Birthday-Vacation!!!"

Those were the sweet words I woke to on Thursday morning of last week. After a lovely morning of sleeping-in, my 4 year old and 6 year old greeted me with brightly colored pages and a greeting I couldn't resist.  I opened my eyes rejoicing in our special day. On June 10th, 15 years ago, David and I were married and our family's beginning was created and blessed by the Lord. 

We enjoyed an amazing breakfast in bed made by our sweet kiddos. Gone are the days of cold cereal and dry toast. We feasted on scrambled eggs, bacon, pancakes, toast and juice. Wow!

After spending the morning playing the "What do you want to do...I don't know...What do you want to do?" Game, we decided to begin our day with an exciting Dump Run. ;-)  Trust me, getting weeks worth of trash and recycling cleared out was a GIFT to us all!!

From there, we decided to redeem the rainy day with some productivity. We grabbed some study materials and tagged along with David to bid some jobs, while sipping some French Vanilla coffee, of course. ;-)

As dinner time approached, we decided to take the generous offer given by David's parents to watch the children for us. We dropped off everyone save Baby Honoree' and headed off for a special dinner out. To top off the evening, my sweet husband accompanied me to the used curriculum sale I was begging to attend.

What an exciting day, huh?

I kept feeling a little bad that we hadn't planned a more exciting time for ourselves. It seemed like making it to 15 years warranted a weekend away, an out-of-the-ordinary experience, or even something sparkly and dangly.

Honestly, we just didn't want that. And as I reflected back on our beginnings, I realized we spent our day perfectly. When we were engaged, we were asked by a loving and watchful friend, WHY we wanted to be married. The only answer I could think of was that we wanted to "do life" together. We both loved the Lord, we wanted to follow after Him with all of our hearts, and we wanted to do it together. It seemed so simple then. And, I guess it really is.

So, Happy Birthday-Vacation to my amazing husband. I love you so much and I'm so grateful to walk beside you in the simple things of life!

3 comments:

Our Peculiar Lives said...

Awwww! Happy birthday-vacation to you both!

Tracy said...

Thank you so much, Jennifer. :)

Lilyofthevalley - Tanya said...

That was so sweet and such a blessing to read!! May the Lord continue to bless you both! :)