Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Road Trip 2011 - More Family Visits

We were back on our way after the morning burial, stopping for the night in Appleton, WI to visit with Tracy's Dad.  Again, it had been 6 years since last we saw him and we were all excited for the too short visit. He was able to meet us after work at a local park for a cookout. The children remembered his love for sharing "fudge-icles" and he was happy to oblige by bringing a box. We had such a lovely visit, my dad sharing stories of his military training and early years as a surveyor.  Benjamin, especially, enjoyed asking questions and hearing the details.  We enjoyed such a wonderful visit, I was sad it couldn't have been longer.
The children with Grandpa Gary





That night we bunked out at the local Walmart parking lot. The wind picked up and I thought we were going over!! I guess that storm hit a large area, because the next day, after several hours to the U.P., we found that a tree had gone down in my grandparents driveway from the same storm! Yikes! They were without power and water, so we did our best to be helpful. David helped clear the tree and we made a yummy dinner of bacon spaghetti (family recipe) in the camper.  It was fun to invite my grandparents in to our camper to enjoy the cold A/C on such a hot day.

My Grandpa Paul and Grandma Joan's house hold many, many dear memories for me.  I was picture happy while there, doing my best to soak up the favorite highlights of their house in our short visit. I savored the sight of my children playing under the same willow branches that I played under as a girl.




The welcoming sight of that bright red cape nestled among the gardens, lake rocks, and wishing well...


A perfect photo op next to the birch trees that my dad and uncles planted before I was even born!







And, of course, I begged for a tour of the flower and vegetable gardens. Every plant holds a story and some go back to my great-great grandparents!




That night, we headed to my other Grandma's house for an overnight stay.  She was gracious to allow us to wash the several loads of laundry that had piled up. We all showered and it felt sooooo good! We stayed up late visiting and watching Bambi (that I saw for the first time at a Drive-In with this same grandma as a little girl).

That morning we all enjoyed a time of family worship with Gram, sharing our favorite hymns together and bible reading. It was a precious time, sharing our love for the Lord with each other. My Grandma Laverne has spent many years praying for me and it's a joy to share with her the fruit of her labors. The children cherished their time with Grandma LaLa and brought home some little treasures to remember he by. Sadly, I only got one photo. Seems I was busy getting us all cleaned up, visiting, and thinking we'd see her again, so I missed my chance for more.

Bathtime snuggles with Grandma LaLa and Honoree'

No comments: