Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Home Economics

I did not grow up spending a whole lot of time in the kitchen. My culinary skills were definitely lacking when our family began to grow. Over the years I've spent many hours learning the basics of cooking, studying various nutritional viewpoints, and experimenting my way into some great and not-so-great results. I decided that I would bring our children along with me as I learned, and I've always been glad I did.

Making baby food and roasting pumpkin seeds...

 



From a very young age our children have been by my side in the kitchen. Honestly, it was the best way I could keep them busy and safe while working on accomplishing the tasks at hand in our growing family. It's also become a great way to build relationships and train their hearts to serve each other and others while learning practical and essential skills.  Right now we have a very capable 15 year old in our home that can prepare and serve a meal for 10 three times a day, if needed.  We have some great bakers, cooks, griddle flippers and even an up-and-coming grill master.  All of this came from hours, days, years of working and learning together. 
 
Prepping food for the freezer...


...chopping mushrooms and turkey for a casserole...


 
This week I've refocused some time each day to get some Kitchen Time in with my littlest girls. I realized that now that I have so many older children taking on meal time duties, I don't spend as much time teaching the little ones the skills they need. We are taking about an hour each morning to work together doing anything from prepping dinner to making baby food.  Not only are the girlies becoming familiar with simple kitchen tools and skills, they are loving the special time they get with Mommy.  We're working on some great team building skills, character issues are attended to regularly, and we can even throw in the obvious math and reading skills that are being practiced as we go.  All good stuff. :)



Snack time!!

After our hour is up, we enjoy a snack we prepared for the family while I sit down to nurse BabyKins and begin some book learning at the table.  Kitchen Work has caught on, so now I'm adding in another block with 8 year old Ruth later in the day. She's already a capable granola maker, so we'll be adding in some more baking skills since she loves to bless others with her sweetness. :)

Yummy gingerbread made by Ruth and her friend that was visiting today. :)
 
There are so many great benefits to keeping busy in the kitchen together. The yummy stuff we eat is just the icing on the cake! ;)  Be encouraged that even when it takes twice as long to get the food prepared, it's also twice as nice when you enjoy it together.

2 comments:

Winslowfamilyatgraceaboundingfarm said...

Love it Tracy! Just love it! Thanks for the reminder of including the littles in what is going on! It's super important. I, too, didn't grow up in the kitchen. My Mom wanted to do it all herself! We, too, have benefited greatly from the fruits of having girls and guys that LOVE the kitchen!

Tracy said...

Thanks, Mary! You are one of those special people that has encouraged me over the years in my Kitchen Learning. :) Thanks!