Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Sweetest Sixteen

Today our oldest, precious, amazing daughter turned sixteen.  Yes, I'm a heap of emotions.

It must be the mark of the oldest child that their birthday creates so much nostalgia.  Not only do I spend time looking back on their life, wishing for a few more moments of sloppy kisses and squishy cheeks but I am forced to look over my whole journey of motherhood, since she is the one who began it all.

Okay, so I had to snap myself out of my reverie or I would sink into it for good.  Even though I'm tempted to long for days gone by, looking for moments I could do over or change, I was lovingly chided to treasure the moments in front of me.  The mistakes of mothering in my earlier years are the stepping stones to the work God is accomplishing today.  The work He is about today is the foundation for a beautiful tomorrow.  Yes, I want to soak that up and cling to that promise.

And so we did.  We soaked up our Beauty-girl today as much as we possibly could. 

A day filled with her favorite things:  Her family and the gifts they lovingly gave to show their heart and devotion to their one and only "Bettsy". 


 
 






 
(gifts: wooden bowls, soaps, gold chain ring made by a little sister, antique sewing machine and cabinet)
 
More favorite things: Several hours at her favorite thrift store.  The whole family found treasures but were too busy to take pics. ;)
 
We then headed to an apple orchard we'd never been to before.  Elizabeth has always loved visiting orchards and apples are her very favorite food.  What a perfect day for savoring God's goodness to our family.
 
















 
A few favorite foods:  Taco bar with a new twist, baked corn tortilla taco shells!
 




 
And a NEW favorite dessert that Elizabeth invented and dreamed of for the last few weeks, LIVE By Chocolate Nice Cream.  Yep, folks, that's dark chocolate nice cream with bits of raw brownie topping.  She's a genius. :)
 
 
Okay, this is the part where I start getting misty-eyed again and threaten to short out your screen with my own little hallmark commercial.  Instead of going all sentimental on you again, I think I'll take Mary's example and treasure this day and all the many days that led up to it quietly in my heart. 
 
This amazing young woman before me, she's a gift. A gift that I have re-committed to opening with gentleness and awe each day it's placed in my hands.  Thank you, Lord, for the honor of mothering this incredible person.  Oh, how you have changed me with her life!
 
 
"And all who heard it wondered at the things which were told them...but Mary treasured all these things, pondering them in her heart."  Luke 2:19
 
 
 

2 comments:

Winslowfamilyatgraceaboundingfarm said...

Happy Birthday Elizabeth!
We love you!
The Winslow Gang!
www.winslowsix.blogspot.com

Praying you had a wonderful day! It truly looks like you did!

We missed you greatly last night at Bright Lights! (and Ruthie, too!)
Hope to see you all soon!

His Grace Abounds said...

Wow, sixteen! I can hardly believe it! Elizabeth, you are becoming a beautiful and radiant young woman and I am so excited to see all that you will become as you live for your Savior. You are a wonderful friend! Not only are you beautiful on the outside, but, most importantly, you are beautiful on the inside, and your beauty comes from your pure heart!
You are a blessing in my life!
Maddie