Saturday, October 10, 2009

Navajo Nation

I debated writing this post. Our drive through the Navajo Nation Indian Reservation in Arizona impacted me deeply. I'm not sure I can put in words my exact thoughts, but I don't want to forget this important part of our experience of our country, it's history and current endevours.

As we entered Arizona, it was evident that we had come upon new terrain. Gone were the rolling hills and climbing mountains. The lush vegetation and flowing rivers. We were in a dry, desolate, desperate desert. I fought emotions of awe, lonliness, confusion, fear and even shame. As I looked out at this land of dried up washes, bare fields and towering sand sculptures I felt such grief over the choices our country made in "reserving" this land for the native americans while offering free, farmable land to homestead settlers from all around the world. There are towns and cities with modern stores and conveniences, of course. But the majority of the drive is dotted with run-down trailers, worn out huts and unkept "farms". I continued to reflect on the history of these people. A people who lived for generations in our country, freely farming, hunting and thriving as communities. They also had their share of wars and conflicts among each other, but the strength and determination to live and survive is unmistakable. As I considered this, I couldn't help but ask, "What happened? Where did that strength and determination go? Why do we not see it reflected in their lives today? Is this a choice they have made at the hand of those who overpowered them? Is this the natural decline that occurs each time a group of people are stripped of their need to survive and dignity of working to thrive?"  Of course, not all native american people live such lives or even stay on the reservations. It would be foolish to stereotype a whole group of people in that way. Yet, I could not help but wrestle with these questions and emotions as we continued on our journey. My thoughts began to touch on the way our nation is currently moving to become a people who would rely on a government for their well-being. Again, hours well spent wrestling in thought and prayer. This land is a powerful land, that is certain.







No comments: