Before I begin, I want to share the scripture promises the Lord gave to me as He prepared me for all we would encounter.
1 Thes. 3:3 “But the Lord is faithful, who shall stablish you (fix to strengthen, confirm one’s mind), and keep you (guard to keep me safe lest I suffer violence, protect), from evil (annoyances, hardships, harassed by labors ;-).”
Psalm 138:8 “The Lord will accomplish what concerns me; Thy lovingkindness, O Lord, is everlasting; Do not forsake the work of your hands.”
2 Chron. 16:9 “For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth to shew himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect (at peace) toward him.”
My repeated prayer, even before we were faced with the hospital birth challenges, was that the Lord would grant me a peaceful labor and birth. I continued to plead for this as I learned to trust His promises.
Tuesday, April 13th, 2010
After much prayer and efforts on our part to encourage labor naturally, it was clear that the Lord was directing us to follow through with the plans the OB had to induce me on the day before my due date. Because of my GD and the estimated size of baby, he was unable to “allow” me to go beyond my due date. He planned to induce by doing and AROM (artificial rupture of membranes). In our discussion prior to the induction, we were told that we would not have a time limit regarding labor even after my water broke for further steps of induction. We would have at least 12-24 hours before we’d be looking at a next step, such as pitocin. I was GBS negative, so that was also in our favor to labor without pressure for time or antibiotics.
Once we arrived at the hospital the story changed dramatically. A more thorough look at my chart told the OB that my GBS test wasn’t current and they would now treat me as though I was positive. I declined the antibiotics against the doctor’s wishes. After he broke my water, he casually said to the nurse that I now had 2 hours to get labor going before he would order the pitocin. I was shocked!!! And, I admit…quite angry.
“He will show Himself strong to those whose heart is at peace with Him”…let your heart be at peace, Tracy.
The only thing for me to do was to trust the Lord’s promises and put forth my best effort to do this His way. I spent the entire day walking the tiny hallway that made up the maternity ward. As I walked and walked and walked, I could only get mild and gentle contractions to come. I took on a flight of stairs with a vengeance, hoping it would bring some strength and consistency to the contractions. As I worked, the Lord was working as well. My nurse was interceding with the doctor, buying us more and more time. The two hour deadline we were originally given lengthened over the day resulting in 9 hours passing since my water had been broken. I was so grateful, but also completely exhausted by that point. After a check, the OB was satisfied that I had progressed enough to allow me more time without pitocin. However, I was completely worn out and couldn’t do much more to keep my own labor going. I laid down to rest and two hours later hadn’t progressed much further. The pitocin was ordered and I gave in. I knew I had done everything I could do and would have no regrets. It was time to surrender to the next step.
“The Lord will accomplish what concerns me…He will show Himself strong…whose heart is at peace.”
Once I was hooked up, my next wonderful nurse set my level as low as possible. I just slept through most of the contractions until they started getting strong. It seemed to happen gently, yet quickly. At one point, the nurse asked how I was doing. She explained that she was trying to set the levels to keep my birth as peaceful as possible. I was amazed! I cried out, “Thank you! That is EXACTLY what I prayed for! A Peaceful labor!” I finally understood that my actual labor was peaceful, the Lord had granted my request. It was just the emotional and mental battles that surrounded it that seemed so hard. I praised the Lord for showing Himself strong to me once again.
“The Lord is faithful…he will stablish you…he will protect you.”
Quickly I moved into transition. After working so hard all day to get labor going, I had a very hard time believing that I was getting close to delivery. Yet, it was happening and it was even getting to the point that I thought the OB might miss it. (praying!) My midwife was there supporting me the whole time as David was encouraging me when I didn’t believe I could go on.
“Show yourself strong, Lord…I need you to be strong!”
Finally, the joy and relief arrived as our sweet baby was born into our arms healthy and strong. The OB didn’t miss it, but didn’t interfere anymore either. They gave her to me immediately and allowed me to keep her skin to skin until I was ready to let her go. I was given a large dose of pitocin again to ensure against hemorrhaging. Everything from that point was bliss, relief and joy. The reward of complete surrender.
So, timetable goes: Arrive at hospital at 7am. Water broken at 9am. Pitocin given at 8:30pm. Baby born at 10:45pm. Hallelujah!!
Honoree’ Faith Menard ~ Beautiful, healthy 8lbs. 9oz., 20 inches long baby girl.
That night we rested and rejoiced and continued to pray. We knew we still had a small challenge ahead of us in getting out of the hospital within the next 24 hours. As we discussed our options, the Lord was already working out His plan. As the pediatrician was coming in, our nurse interceded again on our behalf explaining our wishes to leave early and our experience in dealing with the GBS issues. That would have been the cause to keep us a full 48 hours, including extensive (expensive!) blood work. I had no idea of this, but was so blessed by our short visit with the doctor. His first comment was, “Oh, Honoree! That was my grandmother’s name!” :D He said she looked wonderful and was fine to allow us to leave at the 24 hour mark, skipping the blood work as well. Again, the Lord’s protection as we walked through the battle. My OB came in ready to discharge me that morning. The nurses worked all day to have us ready to leave and at 10:45pm on the dot we were heading out the door with hugs and well wishes from all the wonderful nurses. What a blessing!!
“The Lord is faithful…to protect you (keep you separate) from evil (annoyances).”
I still marvel at the Lord’s faithfulness on our behalf as I soak in the goodness of this sweet new little bundle in my arms. I confess that at various points of Labor Day, I questioned the Lord’s judgement in our circumstances, wondering if He had forsaken us and the prayers of our many dear friends. Yet, each moment I thought we had lost, He redeemed for His glory and praise, which was our ultimate prayer all along. I look back now and see His promises fulfilled completely even when I doubted in the moment. May we continue to learn to trust Him beyond our understanding.
“But we never can prove
the delights of His love
until all on the altar we lay.
For the favor He shows,
and the joy He bestows
are for those who will Trust and Obey.”
6 comments:
Just beautiful tracy I am so happy for each of your blessings of labor!! Iam so glad our little ones share a birthday Love wanda
P.s I love your pictures
What a truly BEAUTIFUL and AMAZING story! Thank you so much for sharing. What an awesome testimony of the Lord's goodness and faithfulness!
What a wonderful story! It's so amazing to see Him work, even when, or maybe especially when, it's not the way we plan things. Honoree is just precious, and so are the rest of your children! Congratulations again!
Tears my friend. Thanks for sharing the details... I'm SO glad that you got the peaceful birth that you prayed for and I prayed for on your behalf. (((HUGS)))
Such a beautiful birth story!! Praise the Lord for His leading, His ways are not always what we plan.
I was GBS positive this last time, by the time I arrived at the hospital, I was already 8 cm, so we talked about it with th midwife and decided not to take the meds and baby was born was born 1/2 hour later. All went well and I was rejoicing in the goodness of the Lord!
Reading your birth story bought back memories for me. Isn't holding your newborn, just seconds after birth the more amazing experience?!
Blessings to you!!
Wanda, I'm excited about their birthdays too! When I saw the pics of your birth, I thought it was neat that we had some similar shots!
Thank you, Grace and Jennifer! God is so good!
Steph, once again I am so grateful for your prayers. You are such a blessing to our family.
Tanya, you are so right! It's a moment you can never fully describe.
Thank you for celebrating with us everyone!
Post a Comment