Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Blue Ribbons All Around!

A few pics of the entries the children prepared to enter our local fair a couple of weeks ago:

Pony In the Field ~ Ruth, 6yo

















Acrylic painting: Lightening & Mater, Photo: Kittens in Boots ~ Joshua 11yo

















Acrylic paintings: Cabin In the Woods and Model T (or A?), Handstitched felt on fabric: Snowman, Woodworking: Tie rack ~ Benjamin 8yo

















Photos: Baby in a Beret, Good Morning Moth; Handwoven basket, Clay creations: She Worketh Her Fields, Scrapbook: Women of the Rennaisance & Reformation, Decorated Cake: Waterfall ~ Elizabeth 12yo












A few close ups:


























Okay, so we spent the morning readying all of our work. We packed it all up carefully and headed off to the fair to enter our items.  And then It Happened.

Marvelous Mommy with the Magnificent Memory Messed Up...Majorly. :(

See, I should know better than to trust this brain of mine to keep details in the right order. I confused the times for drop off of our items.  The category that would have accepted the majority of our entries closed 20 minutes before we arrived.   THUMP <-----  that's my heart hitting the floor. :(

We sadly packed our box of creations and headed off to the school building to drop off the one item we had registered for entry. When we arrived, I timidly explained our dilemma and asked if the children could be allowed to simply display their work in that category, even though we knew they wouldn't be judged. They worked so hard and just wanted to be a part of the excitement of the fair. The Oh-So-Kind woman cheerfully accepted our items (though we had to limit what we could leave) and said she would try hard to put them out if there was room. We all left, thankful, yet still disappointed at the loss of participating in the judging.

Fast forward to Opening Day at the fair. When we arrived to see the Decorated Cakes cheers rang out as we saw Elizabeth's cake!!












She was humbly, yet joyfully beaming!

Then we headed off to the school building to see the display of homeschooler's work.  When we arrived we were even more gleeful as we saw that not only were all of the items we left displayed, but they had also been included in the judging.  AND...we had Blue Ribbons All Around!!




































When all was said and done, we arrived the last night of the fair to pick up our collections. The building we had originally registered to hold our items had a line out the door! David said we could have been there for over an hour just waiting to pick up our things. It took about 10 minutes for us to gather ours from where they were. 

I felt awful. Simply awful the day we missed entering.  Yet, that night we went home triumphant, in spite of my disorder. Thank you, Lord!

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God,
to them who are the called according to his purpose. 
Romans 8:28

4 comments:

~Stephanie said...

I'm so very glad that it turned out this way! Praise GOD!

(And I love that verse too!)

Susanna said...

I got teary-eyed when I saw that first blue ribbon! Please tell your children I said, "Good work!"

Winslowfamilyatgraceaboundingfarm said...

That's so neat Tracy! That very nice woman that helped you out at the school building is Glenn's Aunt Martha. She is married to Glenn's Mom's brother Paul. Anyway...we agree...she is super nice and very accommodating for sure! Glad it all worked out! Great job on all of the entries!

Tracy said...

Mary, we did learn that after the fact. We are very glad to have met her.

Thank you, Susanna. I will be sure to tell them!