Today marks my very first Due Date. October 2, 1997 is a day that is cemented in my brain. It was the day our first child was to be born! Or, well...so the books and doctor said. ;) I knew that Baby-Dear could arrive plus or minus 2 weeks or so. I knew that I would likely NOT have Baby-Dear ON my due date. However, that magical day, October 2nd, was like a beautiful song I carried in my heart for 8 or so months. I loved to sing out whenever someone asked, "When are you due?". I would answer, with a heart full of joy and anticipation, "October 2nd!!"
At first that day seemed an eternity away. Would it ever arrive? Then it seemed just around the corner. Would I be ready? Then, then it was upon me. How would I do it? Could I survive? Then, well...my sweet Due Date...she passed me on by. Oh, dear. Am I stuck? C'mon, Baby! C'mon Labor and Delivery! I'm ready for ya'...Bring It On!!
October 2nd is the precious day that held all of my anticipation. It is the day that is filled with all of my dreams, hopes and innocence of motherhood. My special day. It was the appointment the Lord had given me to meet our sweet baby and begin our journey of parenting. We would forever be changed, and I longed for that day for what seemed a lifetime. As it came and went, a part of me grieved, saying goodbye to that date that held my hopes for so long. In saying goodbye, I embraced fully the Lord's control and plans for our baby and the new family He was creating. He truly did know the perfect day and time our baby would arrive. My eyes needed to be turned to Him rather than the calendar. And there, on my precious Father, they would remain as I looked to Him for the strength and wisdom to welcome this new person and season of our lives.
Due dates make me laugh now. I've been fooled by them seven times. And one time, when the Lord chose to carry a little one to heaven far earlier than I was expecting. I'm grateful the Lord had that first lesson regarding His sovereignty in my life. I'm even more grateful for the countless ways our children have been His tools to shape, mold and humble me for His glory.
May my eyes remain on the Lord as He leads.
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11
4 comments:
Tracy, Jeremiah 29:11 is a verse near and dear to my heart (and where Xander got his middle name from!) Due dates kinda crack me up.. seeing as I've NEVER still been pregnant on a due date. We usually celebrate and say "HA! We've gotten to hold you for ___ days already!"
It is a precious verse, Stephanie. Those due dates are a necessary evil, aren't they?
This is sweet, Tracy!
(Joseph figured out the commenting for me.)
Yay, Joseph!! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a note, Susanna. :)
Post a Comment