In choosing our four year old's name, Verity Grace, we've been challenged to uphold the truth of the scriptures while we seek to live by the grace the Lord gives. (Colossians 1:3-7) Our hearts were drawn to our two year old's name, Honoree' Faith, knowing that we are to live in such a way that we would honor the Lord with the faith He has given to us. (1 Peter 1:1-9) The message of the name Kindred Promise is no exception.
Several years ago, I was struggling with the idea of our growing family. Doubts concerning our ability to rightly provide for everyone by way of finances, energy, love, and guidance gripped me tightly. I wondered if it was "right" for us to keep allowing more children into our lives when we already felt stretched. I was worried that there wouldn't be Enough for our family if it continued to grow. As I wrestled with these emotions, I poured out my heart to the Lord looking for some kind of direction. I was not disappointed.
The Lord brought me back to my foundational understanding of His work in this area of our lives. When we were first challenged to trust the Lord's choices regarding our family size, it was a simple step forward in our ongoing journey to hand over all of our lives to the Lord's control. Through reading His word, we were able to see that the Lord is the creator of all life, ours, our children's, and any children yet to be born. The truth that He alone controls the timing and the creation of all life demands us to humble ourselves to His providential hand. As I pondered this truth, I was comforted that we have been chosen already to be used to fulfill His mighty plans in so many lives.
Once I focused my heart on truth rather than fear and doubt, the Lord revealed a greater truth that calmed my restless soul. I will say, I don't often hear the voice of the Lord outside of His written word, but the few times I have, it has been lifechanging. First, the Lord reminded me that He is the author of all life. Each little person in our home and hearts was put there by His design and purpose. Second, He revealed the truth their very life was a sign of His promise to provide, protect, and fulfill His purposes in our family life. The truth is that BECAUSE He has created each of these little ones, we have the PROMISE that He will accomplish His will in our lives, not allowing us to fall beyond hope. We are His children and need to walk in that promise.
Oh! What a breath of renewing hope to my heart. As I meditated on this amazing love once again revealed to me, I couldn't help but marvel at the incredible blessing Family is in my life. To know that each little face I kiss is a symbol of the Lord's love and promises to me is profound. My thoughts were filled with this concept of Family being a sign of Promise and the name Kindred Promise was born in my heart.
And, in His perfect time, in His perfect way, the person Kindred Promise was then born into our arms.
Definition of Kindred:
noun
1. a person's relatives collectively; kinfolk; kin.
4. natural relationship; affinity.
adjective
6. having the same belief, attitude, or feeling: We are kindred spirits on the issue of gun control.
7.related by birth or descent; having kinship: kindred tribes.
8. belonging to kin or relatives: kindred blood.
"The steps of a man are established by the LORD, when he delights in his way; though he fall, he shall not be cast headlong, for the LORDupholds his hand. I have been young, and now am old, yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken or his children begging for bread. He is ever lending generously, and his children become a blessing."
Psalm 37:23-25
No comments:
Post a Comment