Saturday, May 18, 2013

Happy Birthday...As You Wish!

 
I admit, my birthday this year wasn't filled with joyful anticipation on my part. Turning 39 felt, somehow, anti-climatic. Rather than growing older and wiser, I rather felt flat and worn out. In my mind, I would have been happy to fast-forward to our Birthday Season where we focus on little girls, fancy cakes, toothless grins and the bittersweetness of another year approaching.
 
The Lord has a way of keeping me from smoldering too long in my self-pity, though.
 
I'm grateful for that.
 
My children caught wind of one of my long lost favorites of youth and used that as a way to celebrate my 39 years of Youngness. :)
 
 
They blessed me with some sweet hand-made gifts and cards.
 

 (pssst...that's an ironing board cover made by Ruth, in case you were wondering.)
 
But, really, the cake stole the show
 
 
 
 Now, who could turn away a birthday that makes you The Princess Bride of your own day? 
 
 
 When you are longing for a bit of the sweetness of youth, it feels pretty great to be awarded it...As You Wish.








 
Being a mom, I sometimes forget those younger days of carefree living and youthful anticipation.  I don't often find myself laughing and enjoying a bit of silliness just for the sake of savoring a moment.
 
I wish I did that more. 
 
My children gave me a gift of remembering a bit of that kind of fun that was so easily found in days gone by. Now I have my yesterdays tied to my todays.
 
 My favorite people mixed in with my favorite memories.  That's a Love Story, Indeed. :)
 
 






1 comment:

Unknown said...

Cute cake! :D

Wish we could have coffee together!