A few days ago, during my devotions, the Lord laid a challenge upon my heart. I don't usually share on this blog my notes from my study. However, this challenge is becoming a fabulous way for me to learn and grow while I reach out to our children with the power of God's word. I can't help but want to share that everywhere I can.
This challenge comes from my study of Psalm 36, particularly verse 1:
In short, I am convicted to see how my children, each day, have sin speaking to their hearts. They are not (always, and in some cases, ever) choosing to put the fear of God before their own eyes. With this kind of battle raging in their hearts, I am compelled to speak the word of God to their hearts as boldly as I am able, placing reverence, fear, and awe before their eyes, ears, and all their senses. You can read more of my thoughts here in my journal entry.
I have a great group of online mom-friends that encourage me daily to keep my eyes focused on the Lord. I decided to share this challenge with them. Together, we are sharing ideas and encouraging each other in our daily role of discipling our children. I've committed to finding at least one NEW way to speak the truth of God's word to my children's hearts each week.
Some things we already do:
Fighter verse (memory verse) posted on our dining room white board and review at each meal.
Scripture reading with breakfast and lunch
Index cards with scripture and quotes posted in various rooms
Instrumental hymns playing during lesson, choring, and project times
Three new things for this week:
1. Benjamin has decided to use his handwriting pages to make scripture posters to hang around the house. We'll be getting those up this week.
2. Verity, Honoree', and I made a sweet little magnetic scripture puzzle from an old calendar page. We're going to use this as a fun tool to build some strong habits in the coming weeks.
3. Elizabeth and I are working on planning out a gospel quilt to hang in the living room. This is a long-term project, of course, but we're having a great time picking and ordering the quilt blocks.
First on the agenda: Strong Start - morning chores and breakfast complete and on time each day. When we meet that goal, we add a puzzle piece. When the puzzle is complete, we enjoy a big family reward!
So, that's our start. I would love to hear some of your ideas that we can add to our challenge. Please feel free to join us and keep me updated on how the Lord is working through His word in your family. Pray for me to be diligent in this challenge.
Psalm 94:12
3 comments:
Love the puzzle idea...what a great motivator...you are ambitious with the quilt project...I will give this some thought!
We just got a book called Biblical Quilt Blocks from the street sale we went to this past weekend. We're using that to build our quilt. You can borrow it sometime. :)
What a great idea! I love the puzzle! Very cool! A wonderful challenge to speak scripture in all ways to our children! I needed to read this today! Thank you Tracy!
Post a Comment