Friday, February 5, 2010

The Early Provision

"She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens."  Proverbs 31:15

There is not much that would cause me to crawl out of bed in the sweet dark hours of an early Saturday morning, especially as it's getting harder to move this baby belly out of bed anytime of the day! However, following the Lord's provision is worth sacrificing a few hours of that sweet Saturday morning sleep.

My dear friend picked me up at 4:45am last Saturday morning and we headed to a church that hosts a food ministry.  When we arrived, there was already a line forming of empty baskets and bags ready to be filled with whatever surprises lie waiting inside. We scooted inside the building on one of the coldest mornings of the year to a hallway lined with strangers who would quickly become friends. We still had a couple hours before the doors officially opened, so we enjoyed some great conversation and shared all sorts of tips on making the budget stretch. I was instantly welcomed and blessed by the common thread that bound each person together there. The need to provide for our families, and the gratefulness of a ministry that helps us to do just that.

I was a newbie and was overwhelmed by the abundance of foods available to our family.  I was also impressed by the efforts of the volunteers and the wonderful way they keep this ministry functioning in and orderly and loving way.

After all was said and done, I arrived home having spent $18 and overflowing our counters with a weeks worth of produce, breads, meats and other goodies. All the day long, I had the scripture verse listed above going through my mind. It's such an amazing feeling to see how practical and real God's word is in our lives.


Tomorrow is Saturday...and we rise again!!