Workshelves in our school room/play room
Top shelf: games, puzzles, art supplies
Next: Learning games and activities
Next: Learning games and teaching tools (tm's and flashcards)
Next: Workboxes for 1st and 3rd grade students
Next: Busy boxes for preK student and toddler
Floor: Toy baskets
(these poor boxes need some more help on the reorganization ;) )
We have a desk for each child in the house. The school room has a desk for four students. The top shelf on two of the desks hold magazine style boxes to house the worktexts, textbooks, and other supplies my older students use in their daily work.
We have another desk in our library and another in our living room that holds our desktop computer for those students or subjects that require a little more quiet or computer usage.
When I'm working with the youngest students, I like to be in this room rotating around the desks helping as needed. The white board is very useful for working with my 1st and 3rd grader on their math and reading practice.
And, of course there's always the dining room table and even the living room couches and table for group study and reading time. :)
I also have our preschooler's desk set up in the dining room. She has a cozy little spot to keep her work, but usually works at the table along side me or an older sibling. (that's our new flag in the corner that we use to say the pledge and then hang outside each morning. Fun. :) )
In the dining room I have a small bookshelf with more of my teaching tools and our file boxes holding paperwork, teacher's manuals, and answer keys for the children to check their daily work. I use the dining room table for checking assignment sheets at the end of each day and grading work.
Top shelf: (not shown) box for holding clipboards, globe, Mom's flower jar
Next: Lunch time bible/prayer books, extra teaching activities
Next: Current Read Alouds, Mom's Homeschool Journal
Next: File boxes and Teacher's manuals
In my file boxes, I have one to hold answer keys, teacher's manuals, and drill books. Another box has folders labeled: Answer Keys, To Be Given, To Be Graded, and To Be Filed. We use these to hold the tests and quizzes that we pull from our worktexts before they are taken, work waiting to be graded, and graded work ready for the file boxes in the attic.
Something fun I worked on during break was sorting our picture books and early readers into topical bins. Now it's easy for me to choose books for the workboxes and read aloud time each week.
Top shelf: Biographies and fiction
Lower shelves: Early readers and picture books by topic
I decided to try out using clipboards for each person in the house. I already liked using them for my own paperwork so it seemed like an inexpensive thing to experiment with. Each child has their own clipboard holding their chores lists and assignment sheet for the week. They can use it throughout the day to make sure they are on track, I can use it to inspect their work, and Dad can grab it for the final inspection when he gets home at night. I also have my own clipboards. One for household chores lists (listed by room), one for lesson plans, school calendar, and daily routine, and I'm debating on having another for my daily and weekly to-do lists. I may hang these on a wall at some point, but for now they live in this box so I can decide if this is a good system for us.
And last, I set up my Flower Vase again for a fun way to encourage the children to bless their Momma. When someone is looking for a way to make Mommy smile, they grab a flower, complete the task written on it and then bring the flower to Mommy for a big hug and smile. I got a pretty blue one today from my favorite Red Head. :)
Here's something special I'll add on for you. I made this to help me with my goal of growing in my prayer life. I traced each of our children's hands and wrote a scripture verse on the back that was specific to them. I spent some time praying, asking the Lord for just the right verse to pray for them this year. I am hoping to pray this same verse over them every day this year. I just twist my way through each hand and pray the word of God into their lives. This is such a sweet and yet powerful way to keep my heart focused on the work the Lord is doing in each of them.
We just finished our first day of the new year and I am thrilled to say that it was the best day I can remember. I'm praising the Lord and resting in His favor.
6 comments:
Wonderful Tracy! Thank you for sharing! Things are looking great over there! I LOVE the hand idea with the scripture on the back! Just LOVE it!
What a wonderful start to the new year! Let me know how the clipboard thing works for you - I'm thinking on a variation of that theme for my crew. Love the flower and handprint ideas. You always inspire me! Thank you for sharing.
You are so sweet, Linda. So far I am really liking the clipboards. I'll let you know if it lasts. ;)
Very well organized Tracy... Hope you have a wonderfull New Year of Schooling and a lots of success...May God bless you for the good work that you do....
Renee
Congratulations Tracy for the wonderfull work you do in preparing and organizing for homeschooling the children....Love to All.
May God bless you.
Ron and Renee
Ah, I love the flowers. I may use that idea for Lent. And I love your scripture/prayer idea. Such a beautiful beautiful thing.
Post a Comment