Thursday, July 18, 2013

I Love Summer School

 
At our house, we don't follow a traditional schedule for schooling. Well, I guess we don't follow a traditional schedule for much of anything, *ahem*, but bookwork has always been something that goes with the ebb and tide of our busy little life.


This summer we are enjoying the hot sunshine, fresh air, and still keeping up with our lessons.  Because we often have big events like a new pregnancy (no, not yet. ;) ), a new baby, a new house, a new job, and all of the other little things that make life interesting, David and I have adopted the notion that if all is well, we will keep plugging away at the books.




However, that doesn't mean we never get a break.  I've planned out a schedule this year that follows along the lines of Sabbath Schooling, an idea I fell upon in my Pinning Pursuits.  Basically, you work on academics for 6 weeks and then have 1 full week off, allowing for longer breaks here and there throughout the year.  I'm looking forward to this plan, as it was explained to me that it flows nicely with the natural *burnout* feeling that we homeschool moms can deal with. Oh yeah, I know that feeling!



So, this week is the end of our first 6 week session. We've been plugging away at math, language arts, reading, and history lessons.  We are all very excited to have the next TWO weeks off for Summer Break. Yay!! In August we'll begin our next 6 week session with only math, language arts, and reading for those who haven't finished their books from this past year.


This link is my tentative plan for the upcoming school year.  Maybe it will be helpful to other families out there. I know I am so grateful for all those moms out there who share their ideas and lives with me.  :)

However it falls, home education blesses us day in and day out.  Even while we are plugging away at the books, we can do it in such a glorious fashion. I mean, really, with lessons like this, who wouldn't love Summer School?

 







"So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of GodFor the one who has entered His rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His. Therefore let us be diligent to enter that rest, so that no one will fall, through following the same example of disobedienceFor the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart." 
Hebrews 4:9-12     

2 comments:

Winslowfamilyatgraceaboundingfarm said...

Oh Tracy! I just LOVE your posts! Such an encouragement to me! I'm going to check out that sabbath schooling idea! I like the sound of it already! Kindred is sooooo precious! Taking her first steps, huh??

Tracy said...

Mary, I'm so glad to be helpful. You've done so much to mentor me over the years!

Yes, first steps!! Exciting and a little scary all at once. ;)

Isn't it a thrill to have these little ones at our ankles while we admire the older ones blossoming before our very eyes. Surreal. :)