David completed his juice fast this past week and he's lost over 40 pounds!! I promised him a few weeks back that I would help him celebrate by making a big Plant-Strong brunch on his birthday.
I'll admit, I was a little nervous making so many new recipes. I wasn't sure we would like them all. But, we at least had our favorite pancake recipe so we wouldn't go hungry.
My mushroom gravy didn't quite come together as I hoped. I ran out of arrowroot powder to thicken it enough. Still, it had great flavor and coated those yummy biscuits that E made deliciously.
The Date-Nut Pie was the favorite of EVERYONE. We saved it for last and savored every little bite. No one could believe how amazing it tasted considering it was so sweet, chewy, and fresh sweetened ONLY with fruits. Incredible. I already have several requests for the same pie for upcoming birthdays at our house. :)
We had plans for a hike after brunch. Today's thunderstorms put a literal damper on that, though. We headed up to the courts for a bit of family tennis before the rain sent us back home.
Rainy day fun then consisted of playing cards and puzzles with each other and my dear, precious little "sis" Emily. (very long story made short: This lovely young lady was just a little girl while I lived with her family for about a year in my younger years. Thankful the Lord has brought her into our lives again.)
Dinner was another hopeful experiment. I had been wanting to make "burgers" using those large portabello caps for a long time, now. But, I knew the children would never go for eating THAT much mushroom in a meal. ;) And, since David wasn't eating FOOD, I had to wait him out.
Tonight Emily and Elizabeth and I stormed up the kitchen and made these scrumptious Mushroom Burgers with White Bean Sauce. There was a day, not so long ago, that I would have gagged at the thought of eating a mushroom the size of my hand. Tonight, I ate to my heart's content. I can't believe how much my tastes are changing! Same with the children. With the right amount of ketchup, we even had a couple of them happy to eat a full burger. Wow!
We had planned to make Nice Cream for dessert, but didn't get the bananas in soon enough for them to be frozen well. Instead, we munched on sliced cantaloupe while we watched a bit of a movie together and enjoyed some great discussion.
It was a lovely day. We're so excited for David and the hard work he's done to lose weight, strengthen his body, and lead us in the example of a healthy lifestyle. We're looking forward to all this new year holds for him and our family.
""We give thanks to God always for...you, making mention of you in our prayers; constantly bearing in mind your work of faith and labor of love and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ in the presence of our God and Father,"
1 Thessalonians 1:2-3
No comments:
Post a Comment