Saturday, September 13, 2014

Summer Bucket Series - School Prep

Of course I had to include on my summer bucket list ample time to prep for the coming year.  All that planning, shopping, listing, researching, and charting is one of the truly enjoyable parts of home education for me.  There is something about filling in a spread sheet that makes me feel productive.  But, when the boxes of new books come in, well, that's *almost* better than Christmas morning!

 
Figuring out where to put all those books, well, that's a BIG job!
 
 
What I do like doing, however, is plugging in those books into a yearly and weekly schedule.  It's a bit messy with so many students. I'll be directing and teaching grades 11, 9, 7, 5, 3, 1, PreK, and a toddler while adding a newborn soon.  But, there is a bit of excitement for me to see it all laid out on paper in a colorful chart.  I know we won't follow it perfectly, but it's amazing to see all that learning that we can get done this year!
 
Here are some links to some of the spreadsheets and charts I make and use for planning out the school year and our daily routine. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I can share more samples of other grades if you'd like to see them. Just leave me a note in the comments below.
 
Getting all this done is no small feat.  We're in the midst of weekly rehearsals for an upcoming performance of Sherlock Holmes' The Hound of the Baskervilles and also joined a homeschool learning collaborative that meets weekly this year.  My mind is a little frazzled trying to keep track of all that needs done. I've put together three different daily schedules to help guide our day so we don't forget what needs doing in the midst of all that fun.
 
 
Thursday Daily Routine (this is our homeschool group, CONNECT, meeting day)
 
Friday Daily Routine (this is play rehearsal day)
 
 
Okay, so, now that all that planning is done, it's time to get our supplies purchased, sorted, and set up for our first day back to school! 
 

 
I decided to use this $5 yard sale find in our school room for art and school supplies this year. It's working out pretty well and gives the room a cozy feel.
 
 
 

 
First drawer 
  
 
 Second drawer
 
Third drawer
 
 Fourth drawer
 
Fifth drawer

 
 And the bin of current supplies that sits in the middle of the school table for everyone to use.  

So, now that all the prepping is done, we can relax for the last week of our summer break. It's great to walk into a new school year feeling confident and eager to lead and learn together.

No comments: