Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Practice makes...Progress

This is our last week of Summer Break. Oh, how I wish it wouldn't end! Yet, I am eager to get to all my new lesson plans and see how they work. It took me longer this year than ever to get it all together. But, they are much more thorough than they've ever been, so I'm thinking I'll be very happy with myself in the coming weeks. :) 

In order to make school, meals, diapers, laundry, latin and bathtime all fit in, we use a scheduling system called MOTH (Managers of Their Homes). This is our third year using this tool and I'm SO grateful for it! I call it my Brain. I thought it would be a great challenge to update it from last year's schedule, since I feel like I'm adding in a lot more this year. (new baby and new 1st grader and all...) But I was very pleased to see that it came together rather easily. I guess I'm getting good at some things. :)

So, I thought I post this year's schedule here. I don't want to forget life in this season. This will be a great way for me to remember just what I *did* do with all my time in these busy days. (time...what time???)
This may also give others who read along some ideas for organizing their days.

One disclaimer, however. Please know, this schedule is my goal...sort of my Perfect Day, if I could have one. I've never MOTH'ed a full day in my life! But, I sure like knowing what it could look like and what I'm striving for when I don't have to account for potty breaks and meltdowns (mine, of course )

So far this week we've MOTH'ed to lunch and did pretty well. Tomorrow, we'll try to make it a little further. :D

Thanks for looking, and please share your ideas or suggestions if you have some.

8 comments:

Our Peculiar Lives said...

looks great! I keep thinking I should get that book and see about trying to get some sort of a schedule. . . I've always been more of a routine type of person, but with four littles now I'm wondering. . .

Tracy said...

Jennifer, I had already been doing a schedule much like MOTH before I found the book. Honestly, Teri Maxwell's insights as a mother are worth the read, even if you dn't create a detailed MOTH schedule. I just purchased MOTC and I feel the same way. The Maxwells have such great instruction and encouragement for parenting. They are great tools to implement as best fits your family.
[This commercial is now over. Back to your regularly scheduled blog reading. ]

Winslowfamilyatgraceaboundingfarm said...

Good for you Tracy! Your schedule looks wonderful! I'm so proud of you!
I just ordered the bulk of the curriculum we need today. We've been doing math and some writing and handwriting this summer and that's been good! The twins LOVE it! They just do. It's been neat for them! Looks like the adoption won't be until October or November now. They can't locate the dad. Our best to you next week as you start in full swing!

Christy said...

Tracy, Are you naturally a go to bed early rise early person? Or is that something you are implementing with your schedule? I've tried to wake before the kids, but I just can't consistantly keep it up. It never seems to last longer than a couple weeks! Just wondering if you don't mind sharing.

Blessings,
Christy

Tracy said...

Christy,

I am NOT a morning person, especially an Early Morning person. ;) However, getting up after the children wake never works well in our home. I've had to train myself to wake early and it's never easy. I do allow myself times to sleep in (early pg and newborn seasons), but I typically work towards rising early again as soon as I'm able. I just work at rising a half an hour earlier each week until I'm at the time that works well. It also helps that I'm married to a Get-Up-And-Go Hardworkin' Early Morning Guy. ;)

Just a note about this schedule: We are currently revaluating it's usefulness. I've already adjusted it twice since we started using it. We're working towards a system that gives a lot more flex, since I'm finding it a bit difficult to keep up with the clock. With that, though, we've kept our early rising. It's just a necessity for our family. That doesn't mean it has to be for others, though.

HTH!

Christy said...

Thank you Tracy for answering my question :)

I think I've been struggling with a bit of depression. Funny how I didn't realize it until the post on MOMYS about SJW a couple days ago. It opened my eyes to the fact that I feel like some of the other ladies! I know schedules are forever changing! It's interesting to me how much depression can change someone. I've almost always run off of a schedule or a routine, but when I'm depressed or feeling down I forget that I am a capable person, and the Lord can give me strength.

The Lord is my strength :) That's what I need to remember.

Sorry for rambling, lol!

Blessings,
Christy

Tracy said...

Christy, I completely understand. That thread was helpful to me as well.

I recommend reading the book, Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit by Terri Maxwell. Her chapter on depression is extremely helpful. I just gave it a good read today. ;-)

Christy said...

Tracy, I've been slowly making my way through that book. I have yet to reach the chapter on depression. In fact now that I think of it, I don't even know where the book is.. hmmm Ya I need to finish reading it now.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

Blessings,
Christy